The Avon Board of Education prohibits any form of discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability (including pregnancy), genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Any employee or student wishing to file a complaint regarding discrimination may obtain a copy of the Board’s complaint procedures and complaint form which are included in the Board’s Administrative Regulations Regarding NonDiscrimination/Personnel. These regulations accompany Board Policy 4118.11/4218.11/5145.4 and are available online
at http://www.avon.k12.ct.us/district/board-of-education/pages/policies or upon request from the main office of any district school.
If a complaint involves allegations of discrimination or harassment based on reasons such as gender/sex or disability, such complaints will be handled under other appropriate policies (e.g., Board Policy 4000.1/4200.1/5145.5 Sexual Harassment; Board Policy 5145, Section 504).
The district Title IX Coordinators are:
- Avon High School: Eileen O'Neil or Andrew Ellrod - (860) 404-4740
- Avon Middle School: James Pappa or Cara Boland - (860) 404-4770
- Thompson Brook School: William Boudreau or Sara Chaves - (860) 404-4870
- Pine Grove School: Amy Borio or Todd Markham - (860) 404-4790
- Roaring Brook School: Lawrence Sparks or Lisa Schwoerke - (860) 404-4810
- Central Office: Donna Nestler-Rusack or Robert Vojtek - (860) 404-4700
Anyone who has questions or concerns about the Board’s policies regarding discrimination on the basis of disability may contact the Section 504/ADA Coordinator:
- Kim Mearman (860) 404-4700
Any employee also may file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education:
- Office for Civil Rights, Boston Office - (617) 289-0111
U.S. Department of Education
5 Post Office Square
Boston, MA 02109-3921 http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/howto.html
Employees may also file a complaint regarding employment discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Boston Area Office - (800) 669-4000
John F. Kennedy Federal Building
475 Government Center
Boston, MA 02203
Employees may also file a complaint with the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities:
- Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities - (800) 477-5737
450 Columbus Blvd.
Hartford, CT 06103-1835