Mobile Drawer Trigger

Mobile Search Element

Main Nav

Util Nav

Portal Nav


Q: How do I request my courses for next year in PowerSchool?

A: Course requests are completed online using PowerSchool. Please see your counselor if you need additional assistance.

Q: How do I make an appointment with my counselor / my child's counselor?

A: Students can make an appointment using their school Google calendar or by stopping in to see Ms. King. Parents can make appointments by calling or e-mailing Ms. King.

Q: How do I complete the Common App FERPA and link my Common App and Naviance Accounts?

If you need assistance with completing the Common Application, FERPA, or linking your Common App and Naviance accounts, please make an appointment to meet with your counselor.

Q: When should I take the SAT/ACT?

A: All Juniors will take the SAT on March 27, 2019.
We recommend that students take the SAT/ACT towards the end of their junior year at least once followed by at least once in the beginning of the student's senior year. Specific testing dates and locations can be found by visiting the College Board or ACT websites.

Q: How do I request a teacher/counselor letter of recommendation in Naviance?

A: Students are able to request letter of recommendation beginning May 1st. You must speak to your teacher in person and then complete the request in Naviance. If you need assistance with this, please schedule an appointment with your counselor.

Remember to follow up with your teacher in person, preferably prior to the electronic request. You should also write the teacher with a thank you note after they complete your letter of recommendation.

Q: What are working papers, and how do I get them?

A: The State of CT requires minors to obtain working papers. Working papers are issued by Ms. King. Students must appear in person and bring their completed and signed Promise of Employment from their employer. If you are not an Avon High School student, but are an Avon resident, you can obtain working papers at AHS with proper identification. Please see the state website for more information and a list of acceptable forms of ID.

Please visit the Documents Request page for more information regarding hours .

Q: I am confused about the college application process for seniors. Who is responsible for what parts?

A: Please see the College Planning Checklist for more information on the college application process. If you have any additional questions, please make an appointment with your counselor.

Q: What do I do if my college/university inform me that they have not received my transcript or other documents?

A: Colleges indicating that they have not received transcripts can be a common occurrence for a number of reasons, the most common reason being the college/university document processing time, which can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks.  The best thing to do is to call the college and ask if they have the documents.  Student statuses online are often not updated and may not be accurate. When in doubt, call! If you make the call and they inform you they do not have documents, please see Ms. King or your counselor and we will send along the necessary documents promptly.

Q: Where can I find the Transcript Release Form?

A: The form is given to seniors during their initial senior meeting and is filled out with their counselor. The form is an organizational tool for students and counselors, assisting our department with getting documents to colleges in a timely manner.