In the bright, cheerful atmosphere of Pine Grove School children are successful learners who have the benefit of the latest and best in books, technology, curriculum, and school programs. Approximately 600 students in pre-kindergarten through grade 4 make up the community of learners at Pine Grove Elementary School in Avon, Connecticut. The school opened its doors to students for the first time in 1991, and was built to be an educational facility for the new millennium. The school's dedicated and talented faculty is committed to working cooperatively with parents to meet the academic, social, and emotional needs of all its children. Teachers and parents working together have established a school wide motto "Together We Share, Create, Discover and Achieve." All members of the Pine Grove School community have embraced this and one only needs to walk the halls to see it in action.
Pine Grove School is committed to a school strategic plan which is based on and integrates the district mission statement and student achievement goals adopted by Avon Public Schools. The staff is dedicated to continuous improvement and growth, a hallmark of schools that embrace the importance of teaching and learning.
Pine Grove School Goals & Strategic Actions
Goal I: Culture
Model and maintain a safe and healthy learning environment.
Provide a positive school climate that respects the dignity and diversity of all individuals.
Cultivate and celebrate excellence and innovation.
Goal II: Achievement
Increase individual student achievement with the Avon curriculum.
Identify and use a variety of highly effective teaching techniques.
Develop the use of technology as a tool for teaching and learning.
Goal III: Communication
Promote opportunities for parents and community members to become active teaching partners.
Enhance communication opportunities with the use of technology.
The many highlights of Pine Grove School's rich and varied community include:
- An actively involved Parent-Teacher Organization which works closely with teachers, staff, and the community to make the students' experience a rich and exciting one.
- A computer lab, which is equipped with Dell computers.
- Pine Grove School Community Council which discusses issues of common concern and makes recommendations for overall improvement of school life.
- Parent volunteers who are instrumental in the operation of the school library, a rich cultural program, an art appreciation program, the copy center and a variety of after school and weekend activities which help to foster a sense of community.
- The Pine Grove School Publishing Center which is staffed by parent volunteers who last year published more than 600 students' writing efforts. Children publish their own books which promote their interest in writing and improve their writing skills.
- PGS houses the district preschool for 3 and 4 year olds. This program houses students with disabilities as well as typical age peers.
Click here to see past stories.