As your Superintendent of Schools, I believe that:
- All of our actions should contribute toward student learning and achievement.
- Relationships are interactions that can never be repeated nor replicated.
- No one individual has the ability to change an organization. Groups of individuals change organizations.
- We provide vision for ourselves by participating in active conversations about what we believe in, what we value and what we expect from one another.
- Education represents the single most influential process contributing to perpetuating a community.
- All individuals associated with an organization are equals. Their roles are different.
- Individuals are the single most important resource to any educational organization.
- The only decisions that can withstand the test of time are those that have been made through a collaborative model.
- Never compromise being able to tell others what you stand for, what you value and who you are as a person.
- Always stand up for those things that you believe to be right and just. The only person you really answer to is yourself.
- In order to remain effective in our roles, we must continue to be life-long learners who practice active inquiry.
- No change can occur without discussion, debate and differences of opinion.
- Never compromise your honesty or integrity. They reflect who you are as a person.
- Never fear being held accountable. It will serve to develop your character and credibility as a person and as a professional.
Gary S. Mala, Superintendent of Schools
Avon Public Schools