Avon High School Science Department
Science Department Staff:
John Salerni, Coordinator (email)
The program offered at Avon High provides students with a strong background in core sciences. All students study Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry. Most students also take Physics and/or electives such as Forensics and Marine Biology during 12th grade. Please see the science section of the course of studies booklet for more information. Materials such as textbooks and homework are available online for some courses. Course syllabi are available here.
The mission of the AHS science department is to prepare students for informed and responsible participation in an increasingly complex and technological society by fostering scientific literacy and the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills.
Characteristics of an outstanding science student
- Demonstrates mastery of fundamental scientific concepts.
- Integrates knowledge from a variety of scientific disciplines and applies it to new situations to formulate insightful conclusions.
- Evaluates the validity of various sources of scientific information
- Devises, conducts and interprets the results of an authentic scientific investigation in order to answer a self-developed, scientifically valid question
- Utilizes appropriate laboratory equipment and other technologies to collect, analyze and share scientific information.
- Effectively communicates scientific information using a variety of presentation techniques.
- Demonstrates curiosity about the natural world.
- Understands that scientific knowledge evolves.
Useful Links for Chemistry:
Panoramic view of Hiroshima after atomic bomb blast
Useful Links for Physics: