Pupil Services Advisory Council (PSAC)






  Frequently Asked Questions

If my child is having difficulty in school, what can I do?

Contact your child's teacher and/or guidance counselor and ask about the Student Assistance Team (SAT). This is an early intervention process that identifies resources within the school to help the child meet with success.


If I have a concern about any aspect of my child's development whom should I contact?

If you child is between birth and 3 years, call Connecticut's Birth to Three System at 679-7352.  If your child is between the ages of 3 and 21, call or email the Director of Pupil Services at 404-4710, or whickey@avon.k12.ct.us.  Or you may call the building principal of your child's school.

Pine Grove            404-4790
Roaring Brook
Thompson Brook   404-4870
Avon Middle          404-4770
Avon High             404-4740

Is there a program in the district for preschoolers with special needs?

 Preschool children with special needs can attend the LEAP program located at Roaring Brook School. For more information on the services the LEAP program provides, call 404-4825.

 What is Special Education?

 Special Education is the implementation of specialized instruction for students with disabilities in order that they may access the curriculum. Its purpose is to provide free and appropriate public education to students.


What are the areas that are recognized as disabilities under state and federal Special Education laws?

The following categories have been identified under state and federal laws: Speech and Language Impairment, Visual Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Specific Learning Disability, Autism, Intellectual Disability, Orthopedically Impaired, Other Health Impaired, Emotionally Disabled, Multiple Disability, Deaf-Blindness, Developmental Delay, and Traumatic Brain Injury.


How does a child qualify for Special Education?

 A disability must be identified by the Planning and Placement Team (PPT), and it must also be shown to prevent successful access to the general curriculum.


If my child is disabled but does not require specialized instruction, is there another mechanism to assist my child?

Yes, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act ensures access to the curriculum through accommodations in the regular education setting.