AVON MIDDLE SCHOOL - SUMMER UPDATE
Below are the suggested supply lists for AMS students. Also included are dates of the 7th Grade Student Orientation, First Day of School, PTO Ice Cream Social, Open House, and Parent-Teacher Conferences.
*** 7th Grade Student Orientation ***
Wednesday, August 27, 9:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.
First Day Back to School
Thursday, August 28
The district provides sufficient school supplies for all students. However, some supplies that the school district does not supply may be useful or helpful to students to organize and complete their school work. The list below is only a suggestion and is not required.
- 1” three-ring binder for each academic class
- A flash drive
- Supply of Pens/pencils in a pencil case
- Supply of 3-hole punched white-lined paper
- Colored pencils
- Highlighters (a minimum of two colors)
- Ruler (metric/customary)
- Pocket folders (3-5)
- Black and white composition book
- Pens, pencils, highlighters
- Pocket folders
- Packs of tabbed dividers
- Year’s supply of reinforced 3 hole punched white lined paper
- Scientific calculator. Algebra students recommended to buy TI-84 Plus Silver Edition or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition graphing calculator (required in high school).*
- French/English or Spanish/English dictionary for World Languages
- Spiral bound note cards for French
- Colored pencils/markers
- Flash drive or thumb drive for computer lab (all subjects)
- Notebook requirements will vary for academic teachers. Many subjects require 1” 3 ring binders.
*In 8th grade, your student will be using a graphing calculator made by Texas Instruments called theTI-84 Plus Silver Edition or TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. This calculator will be utilized in both math and science classes for a variety of lessons.
We would like you to consider purchasing this calculator for your student for both school and home use. This is not an inexpensive calculator – the cost for the equipment is approximately $125. However, it is the same calculator required for math classes at Avon High School.
We realize that you may not feel your child is ready to keep track of a calculator of this value. Rest assured that there will be one full classroom set of TI-84 Plus calculators at Avon Middle School for your child’s use. This is NOT a required school supply at AMS, simply a suggestion for your long-term planning as your child looks to his/her high school years.
The calculator can be purchased at:
- major office supply stores such as Staples or Office Max
- electronic equipment retailers such as Best Buy
- department stores such as Wal-Mart and Target
- on-line retailers such as Amazon
Should you choose not to invest in this calculator, please remember your child will still need a regular calculator for his/her classes.
PTO Ice Cream Social
Friday, September 5 - Rain or Shine
AMS Open House
7th grade – Monday, September 15, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
8th grade – Wednesday, September 17, 6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
(early release @ 10:45 a.m.)
Monday, November 10 - afternoon & evening
Tuesday, November 11 - afternoon
Thursday, April 30 - afternoon & evening
Friday, May 1 - afternoon
Transportation information will be posted on the APS website mid August.Click here to see past stories.